Thursday, March 6, 2008

Fifteen years in Delhi

I knew the parks. The potholes. The people
Plays. Prices. Petrol Pumps

I knew the forts. The flowers. The fests

I knew how winter smelt and how long the monsoon lasted

I knew those seasons that brought in whiffs headier than tequila shots

I knew autumn and pale yellow leaves that loved being crushed

I knew wind that howled while the rain sang

I knew the daily sunsets and the occasional sunrise

I knew the borders and I knew the bars
And with them, I knew the happy hours

I knew C P remained closed on Sundays

I knew where you could bargain and where you must not

I knew the dhabas under the flyover and the five stars equally well

I knew that streets were wide and the mind-sets, narrow

I knew the seasons and the reasons
I knew the lies to tell and the truths to hold back

I knew the open terraces and the colourful kites

I knew six different routes to home
I knew five different excuses to get out of there

I knew the streets and the street dogs
I knew the summer sweat and the thick winter fog

I knew the kids who waited for their school buses on winter mornings
I knew the old auntie who had no one to wait for but still did, every evening on the cane chair

I knew the waiters at Turquoise Cottage.


























9 comments:

i think said...

I get goose bumps each time i read your blog. To you I bow.

Morpheus said...

Beautiful. Makes one feel everything that you do. Well, almost. Nostalgia..

How do you find Bombay? I am uprooting myself out of Hyd, and I'm headed to Bangalore. My new innings starts on the 16th.

Feel free to let me know if you land up in Bengaluru, as they call it these days.

Keep writing...often :)

Red Venkat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
R said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
write_off said...

And you would have felt the same when you moved to Delhi 15 years back, no?

bhavna said...

na, not really. this feeling is in my list of firsts.

i was too young then. the only thing that mattered at that point was that i could not walk in the middle of the road, as i did in Simla. And that i had left my first best friend behind. Somewhere it did pinch me. But guess i was not in a position to articulate my feelings.

now i have two cities to miss. but i guess, i will always miss the mountains more. although i left them very long back, my umbilical cord is still attached.

Red Venkat said...

¿Por quĂ© la censura? ¿Se opone usted al comentarista, al comentario o al estilo?

thecreativebread said...

goozies to me too...why did you leave baby?

bhavna said...

hey shonee. how are you?? i am good. miss you guys. love.